BOZICH | Greatest Team Ever loses; Who's No. 1 in AP poll?
By Rick Bozich
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) — I tried to work Jeff Brohm into my ballot for the Associated Press college basketball Top 25, but I’ll need Purdue to beat Florida State and Michigan this week before I include the one-loss Boilermakers.
Now, with Duke losing in Maui last Wednesday, who’s No. 1?
1. Gonzaga (6-0) — Thank you for saving us from 40-0 talk about Duke.
2. Kansas (5-0) — Actually, they say the Jayhawks aren’t playing that well.
3. Duke (5-1) — Could the Zags beat the Cavaliers?
4. Michigan (6-0) — One day the Wolverines will have a football team the basketball team can be proud of.
5. Virginia (6-0) — If the Cavaliers add a win over Maryland to the game they won over Wisconsin, they’ll be assured a slice of the Big Ten title.
6. Tennessee (4-1) — Could have lost to Louisville. Could have beaten Kansas.
7. Nevada (6-0) — This team is loaded, even if its schedule hasn’t been.
8. Kansas State (6-0) — Dean Wade and Barry Brown are legit all Big-12 players.
9. Michigan State (5-1) — Louisville will be the Spartans’ first road game, but they’ve played three times on neutral courts, losing to only Kansas.
10. North Carolina (6-1) — Lost to Texas. Could lose at Michigan Wednesday.
11. Virginia Tech (5-0) — The Hokies deserve a better Big Ten/ACC Challenge opponent than Penn State.
12. Kentucky (5-1) — According to Ken Pomeroy, the Wildcats have not beaten a Top 100 opponent.
13. Auburn (5-1) — Third place in a Maui Invitational field with Duke and Gonzaga isn’t awful.
14. Ohio State (6-0) 0— Let’s see what the Buckeyes do with Syracuse Wednesday.
15. Buffalo (5-0) — I’m probably overvaluing that win over West Virginia.
16. Iowa (5-0) — The Hawkeyes are No. 70 in Ken Pomeroy’s defensive efficiency metric. Last season they were 242.
17. Florida State (5-1) — A slight ding for losing to Villanova.
18. Texas Tech (6-0) — Chris Beard learned a few things about coaching defense from Bob Knight.
19. Oregon (4-1) — The Ducks appear to be the class of the Pac-12 after UCLA’s awful week.
20. Wisconsin (5-1) — The Badgers could not handle Virginia. Let’s see what they do with North Carolina State.
21. Texas (5-1) — The Longhorns got better against North Carolina and Michigan State.
22. Minnesota (5-0) — Richard Pitino solidly on the path to a bounce back season.
23. Arizona State (5-0) — The Sun Devils knocked Mississippi State out of my Top 25.
24. Furman (7-0) — This group beat No. 25.
25. Villanova (5-2) — Beating Florida State was a solid step out of the doghouse.
Copyright 2018 WDRB Media. All Rights Reserved.